POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Feb 2009 16:41:16
Message: <49973a7c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:29:40 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Yah, that's right. First you install a binary version of the compiler.
> Then you use that to compile a minimal version of the compiler from
> source. Then you use *that* to compile a full version from source.

That used to be common with GCC - not sure if that's the one you're
using, but I remember the first time I saw it built was on a SunOS
platform, used the Sun CC compiler to build the first time and then it
built itself in order to fully optimise itself.

On hardware of the time, it generally took about 12 hours IIRC.

Jim