POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Women and Hammers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Women and Hammers (Message 11 to 20 of 52)
From: m a r c
Subject: Re: Women and Hammers
Date: 25 Sep 2008 11:28:54
Message: <48dbae36@news.povray.org>

48db8a59@news.povray.org...

>> 1. You sharpened the blade? I've never seen anybody do that, ever.
>
>    yep .... have a grinder. I usually sharpen every other year. that's the
> mower for the close in stuff. the tractor has 5 blades I take them to a
> shop for those.

It is less painfull when you cut your own toes with a sharpened blade >:-)

>> 2. The mower isn't electric?
>
>   haha ..... big yard extension cords not long enough.
With electric mowers, the 1st thing you're likely to cut is the power cord
but before you have to slaughter flower beds  with it and mess it between
trees and shrubs  :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Sep 2008 12:43:17
Message: <48dbbfa5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> My mum once tripped over while carrying an electric drill and
>>> accidentally drilled a hole in her arm...
>
> Heh. My mum screwed me and my sister to a plank of wood...

Your mother should never ever be allowed near power tools again. Ever.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Sep 2008 12:44:50
Message: <48dbc002$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:

> If violence didn't help, you didn't use enough force. Having a hammer
> makes applying more force to violence easy.

Mmm, the old "I learned a new programming technology" axiom. "When all
you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Sep 2008 12:49:24
Message: <48dbc114$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> 1. You sharpened the blade? I've never seen anybody do that, ever.

Its a good thing to do occasionally. This way it cleanly cuts the grass,
rather than shredding it.

Whats real fun is to run a thatch blade over a lawn. Actually buying one
got incredulous looks from the "know-it-all" at the hardware store who
proceeded to lecture me about how he's been mowing his lawn for some 15
years and never needed one.

Bermuda grass needs to be thatched occasionally, or it strangles the
soil. That year, I had the nicest, lushest, greenest lawns on the block,
though it looked like hell immediately after the dethatching.

> 2. The mower isn't electric?

There's electric mowers? I'd be a bit paranoid about running over the cord.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Sep 2008 13:56:23
Message: <48dbd0c7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. My mum screwed me and my sister to a plank of wood...

I would like the record to show the following:

   This experience was rather painful for both my sister and me. When my
mum realised what was going on, she immediately tried to put the drill
into reverse drive.

   Unfortunately, she put the drill into hammar action instead.

   This not only tightened the screws even further, but also hammars our
fingers.

   Finally she found reverse, releasing my sister, who she then rushed
indoors and put her fingers under the cold tap. I, however, was still
trapped. I can vividly remember my sister's pained expression as she
looked up from the sink and saw me still trapped.

   And laughed at me! >:-[

   She didn't, like, *tell* mum I was still trapped or anything. She
just took there and laughed at me through the kitchen window.

   Damnit.

> Your mother should never ever be allowed near power tools again. Ever.

Well, that used to be her _job_...

[Which is why she even owns power tools. She certainly didn't *buy* them
herself!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Sep 2008 13:59:40
Message: <48dbd18c$1@news.povray.org>
m_a_r_c wrote:

> And you tell there  are scary people here?

That's not scary - just incompetent.

There's also the time she walked into a concrete bollard and went
face-first into the pavement.

Or the time she stepped backwards down a small half-step and twisted her
ankle.

Or the time she accidentally amputated her entire fingernail because she
couldn't be bothered to use the safety guard on the new vegatable slicer
she bought.

Or the time she took skiing lessons and twisted her angle. (My mate
who's a ski race coach tells me this is physically impossible since the
boots prohibit the movement of the ankle.)

I'm not saying my mum's clumsy or reckless or anything, but...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Sep 2008 14:02:31
Message: <48dbd237@news.povray.org>
>> 1. You sharpened the blade? I've never seen anybody do that, ever.
>
> Its a good thing to do occasionally. This way it cleanly cuts the grass,
> rather than shredding it.

Oh, OK. I just assumed it was impossible for a mower to work well...

>> 2. The mower isn't electric?
>
> There's electric mowers? I'd be a bit paranoid about running over the cord.

The cord is neon orange for a very good reason. In all my years of being
alive, I have almost never seen a petrol mower (except the big
industrial ones for mowing parks and greens and such). I have also never
seen anybody actually cut their power cord while mowing either.

When was the last time you ran your vacuum cleaner over the power cord?
Or is that petrol-powered too? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Sep 2008 15:24:03
Message: <48dbe553$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Heh. My mum screwed me and my sister to a plank of wood...
>
> I would like the record to show the following:
>
>   This experience was rather painful for both my sister and me. When my
> mum realised what was going on, she immediately tried to put the drill
> into reverse drive.
>
>   Unfortunately, she put the drill into hammar action instead.
>
>   This not only tightened the screws even further, but also hammars our
> fingers.

Again, let me reiterate what I said *your mother should never be allowed
near power tool again. Ever.* Holy crap!

>   Finally she found reverse, releasing my sister, who she then rushed
> indoors and put her fingers under the cold tap. I, however, was still
> trapped. I can vividly remember my sister's pained expression as she
> looked up from the sink and saw me still trapped.
>
>   And laughed at me! >:-[
>
>   She didn't, like, *tell* mum I was still trapped or anything. She just
> took there and laughed at me through the kitchen window.
>
>   Damnit.

Its a wonder you came out as close to 'normal' as you did, and didn't go
all Ted Bundy.

>> Your mother should never ever be allowed near power tools again. Ever.
>
> Well, that used to be her _job_...
>
> [Which is why she even owns power tools. She certainly didn't *buy* them
> herself!]

Good gods ... someone paid her to use power tools? 0,o Be very afraid ...
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Sep 2008 15:25:45
Message: <48dbe5b9$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> m_a_r_c wrote:
>
>> And you tell there  are scary people here?
>
> That's not scary - just incompetent.
>
> There's also the time she walked into a concrete bollard and went
> face-first into the pavement.
>
> Or the time she stepped backwards down a small half-step and twisted her
> ankle.
>
> Or the time she accidentally amputated her entire fingernail because she
> couldn't be bothered to use the safety guard on the new vegatable slicer
> she bought.
>
> Or the time she took skiing lessons and twisted her angle. (My mate
> who's a ski race coach tells me this is physically impossible since the
> boots prohibit the movement of the ankle.)
>
> I'm not saying my mum's clumsy or reckless or anything, but...

Seriously. Take all the power tools, sharp objects, heck anything that's
not soft and padded, lock it up and throw away the key. I'm shocked you
(your sister and your mother) have managed to survive at all!

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Sep 2008 15:27:08
Message: <48dbe60c$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> When was the last time you ran your vacuum cleaner over the power cord?
> Or is that petrol-powered too? ;-)

Just the other day, as a matter of fact. :)

And no, not gasoline powered. Electric is already loud enough. :)

--
~Mike