POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 21 to 30 of 234)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Back to the future [100K]
Date: 22 Jul 2008 10:25:40
Message: <4885ede4@news.povray.org>
> Yep. There's only so much that human senses can perceive. ;-)

True, and it's a shed load more than 256 levels.  The attached photo
demonstrates nicely, see how with only 8bits/channel there is almost no
detail in the clouds at the top, nor in the dark wall and radiator at the
bottom? I can assure you in real life I can see a lot more detail.  Once we
get display devices with higher contrast then higher bpp will surely follow
to better replicate what we see with our eyes.  IIRC cinema projectors use
16 bit/channel already.

> (Similarly, "CD-quality audio" was invented, what, 20 years ago? And it
> still hasn't changed to this day...)

That's because not many people can hear higher than 20 kHz.  Add in 10%
margin for the anti aliasing filters, and with a 22 kHz nyquist frequency
you get to 44 kHz sample rate.  There isn't much incentive to go higher,
although DVD uses 48 kHz.  16-bit per sample is also probably ok, because
that correpsonds (IIRC) to a roughly 100 dB range of sounds, which is about
what the ear is sensitive to while listening to music.  (OK if you wanted to
reproduce a pin dropping and then a jet engine in your living room, you
might need more than 16 bits to get it sounding good...)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'img_0298.jpg' (101 KB)

Preview of image 'img_0298.jpg'
img_0298.jpg

>> Yep. There's only so much that human senses can perceive. ;-)
>
> True, and it's a shed load more than 256 levels.  The attached photo
> demonstrates nicely, see how with only 8bits/channel there is almost no
> detail in the clouds at the top, nor in the dark wall and radiator at
> the bottom? I can assure you in real life I can see a lot more detail.

There's a good reason for that: every time you point your eyes somewhere
else, all the exposure settings automatically change! ;-)

That's why it's so damned hard to find a good exposure setting on a
camera - one that reveals as much detail as the human eye. The human eye
doesn't use just *one* exposure setting, but a constantly changing level.

> Once we get display devices with higher contrast then higher bpp will
> surely follow to better replicate what we see with our eyes.  IIRC
> cinema projectors use 16 bit/channel already.

Well, we'll see.

>> (Similarly, "CD-quality audio" was invented, what, 20 years ago? And
>> it still hasn't changed to this day...)
>
> That's because not many people can hear higher than 20 kHz.

Indeed. No real point going higher.

> There isn't much incentive to go higher, although DVD uses 48 kHz.

Now there's interesting. Do you have a reference for that? Last I heard,
DVD audio typically has lossy compression applied to it...

> 16-bit per sample is also probably
> ok, because that correpsonds (IIRC) to a roughly 100 dB range of sounds,
> which is about what the ear is sensitive to while listening to music.

Heh. It sounds OK to me! ;-)

[I gather there is a thing called "Super Audio CD", but it hasn't really
taken off because nobody can hear the difference.]

> (OK if you wanted to reproduce a pin dropping and then a jet engine in
> your living room, you might need more than 16 bits to get it sounding
> good...)

Hope - because you'll be *deaf* after the jet! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> There's a good reason for that: every time you point your eyes somewhere
> else, all the exposure settings automatically change! ;-)

Of course, but it doesn't affect the fact that 8bit/channel is nowhere near
enough to give a realistic looking image.

> That's why it's so damned hard to find a good exposure setting on a
> camera - one that reveals as much detail as the human eye. The human eye
> doesn't use just *one* exposure setting, but a constantly changing level.

That's why people take HDR images (by quickly taking several images in
sucession with different exposures) and then combining them into one HDR
image.  On your computer you can then vary the exposure and reveal all the
detail that would have been impossible to capture in a single 8bit image.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Audio_data

> [I gather there is a thing called "Super Audio CD", but it hasn't really
> taken off because nobody can hear the difference.]

Or rather, in the majority of hi-fi systems it is not the 16bit/44kHz source
data that is the limiting factor on the quality.

> Hope - because you'll be *deaf* after the jet! :-D

Yup - but you wanted an accurate reproduction in your living room of that
scene where someone is run over by a jet taking off ;-)

Post a reply to this message