POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [100K] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [100K]
From: scott
Date: 22 Jul 2008 10:50:48
Message: <4885f3c8$1@news.povray.org>
> There's a good reason for that: every time you point your eyes somewhere
> else, all the exposure settings automatically change! ;-)

Of course, but it doesn't affect the fact that 8bit/channel is nowhere near
enough to give a realistic looking image.

> That's why it's so damned hard to find a good exposure setting on a
> camera - one that reveals as much detail as the human eye. The human eye
> doesn't use just *one* exposure setting, but a constantly changing level.

That's why people take HDR images (by quickly taking several images in
sucession with different exposures) and then combining them into one HDR
image.  On your computer you can then vary the exposure and reveal all the
detail that would have been impossible to capture in a single 8bit image.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Audio_data

> [I gather there is a thing called "Super Audio CD", but it hasn't really
> taken off because nobody can hear the difference.]

Or rather, in the majority of hi-fi systems it is not the 16bit/44kHz source
data that is the limiting factor on the quality.

> Hope - because you'll be *deaf* after the jet! :-D

Yup - but you wanted an accurate reproduction in your living room of that
scene where someone is run over by a jet taking off ;-)