POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jul 2008 10:57:23
Message: <4885f552@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:

> > I'll agree, Windows 3.x sucked. :)

> I was always astounded that "66 MHz" PCs would crawl along unbearably
> slowly

  False memories. Windows 3 was already used in 6 MHz 286 computers.
If Windows 3 was "unbearably slow" in a 66 MHz 486, I can only imagine
how slow it must have been in a 286.

  Obviously given that it was used in practice, it was not that slow.

> (On the other hand... You know how Linux is supposed to be "fast"? I
> tried running Debian on my Amiga 1200. Waiting for Gnome to start up

  Gnome is not linux.

  Try porting gnome to your beloved AmigaOS and let's see how fast it is
there.

> is... well let me put it this way. It makes a 486 SX look like greased
> lightning. From typing "startx" to having a usable desktop takes about
> 20 *minutes*!! Not kidding!!)

  Why would you even want to use gnome in a slow computer? Use a lighter
window manager.

--
                                                          - Warp