POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [100K] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [100K]
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2008 10:39:05
Message: <4885f109$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yep. There's only so much that human senses can perceive. ;-)
>
> True, and it's a shed load more than 256 levels.  The attached photo
> demonstrates nicely, see how with only 8bits/channel there is almost no
> detail in the clouds at the top, nor in the dark wall and radiator at
> the bottom? I can assure you in real life I can see a lot more detail.

There's a good reason for that: every time you point your eyes somewhere
else, all the exposure settings automatically change! ;-)

That's why it's so damned hard to find a good exposure setting on a
camera - one that reveals as much detail as the human eye. The human eye
doesn't use just *one* exposure setting, but a constantly changing level.

> Once we get display devices with higher contrast then higher bpp will
> surely follow to better replicate what we see with our eyes.  IIRC
> cinema projectors use 16 bit/channel already.

Well, we'll see.

>> (Similarly, "CD-quality audio" was invented, what, 20 years ago? And
>> it still hasn't changed to this day...)
>
> That's because not many people can hear higher than 20 kHz.

Indeed. No real point going higher.

> There isn't much incentive to go higher, although DVD uses 48 kHz.

Now there's interesting. Do you have a reference for that? Last I heard,
DVD audio typically has lossy compression applied to it...

> 16-bit per sample is also probably
> ok, because that correpsonds (IIRC) to a roughly 100 dB range of sounds,
> which is about what the ear is sensitive to while listening to music.

Heh. It sounds OK to me! ;-)

[I gather there is a thing called "Super Audio CD", but it hasn't really
taken off because nobody can hear the difference.]

> (OK if you wanted to reproduce a pin dropping and then a jet engine in
> your living room, you might need more than 16 bits to get it sounding
> good...)

Hope - because you'll be *deaf* after the jet! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/