POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future : Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu] Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jul 2008 13:41:30
Message: <48861bca$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:49:10 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> OK, that's just absurd. The sofa and the rug are *exactly* the same
> colour. How the hell can the machine tell them apart? Additionally, how
> on earth can it tell what colour they were originally? That's
> impossible...

Except it clearly isn't impossible, because it was done.  The way this
works is by using white balance.  I've done it myself many, many times
with old photos in the GIMP.

But the sofa and the rug aren't exactly the same colour - the rug is
darker than the sofa (? looks like a chair to me).  Adjusting the white
balance of the photo involves picking out something that actually is/was
white (like the white on the baby's shirt).  That gives the computer a
reference to make the adjustments from.  When photos age, they tend to
age consistently and the colours adjust with consistency.  The computer
basically is doing an "undo" on the age effect applied by real life.

Jim