POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good widescreen LCD Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Good widescreen LCD (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: Brian Elliott
Subject: Re: Good widescreen LCD
Date: 17 Nov 2007 18:38:18
Message: <473f7b6a@news.povray.org>
news:473f3242@news.povray.org...
> Rune <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
>> For example, the eyes have an edge detecting layer I think, or something
>> along those lines. This layer could find all the edges of the bars in
>> your
>> image and send information about these edges on to the brain, so that the
>> brain can tell how many bars there are. The eyes also send the actual
>> "raw"
>> brightness info on to the brain, but this may be in a "low resolution"
>> where
>> no more than 16 different shades can be told apart. However, the brain
>> can
>> still count all the bars, becuase of the edges detected in the eyes.
>
>  I'm quite certain that if it was an animation where each frame is
> completely filled by a shade of gray and was played eg. at 1 FPS, you
> could clearly see the change.

That might be one test, but it still makes it easy for the brain by showing
transitions.

What if you had a test that didn't allow the eyes/brain to calibrate from
frame to frame?

What if your vision was blanked for a time (eg. half-second or second)
between each successive frame?  How many grey shades could you distinguish
reliably?

Post a reply to this message