POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good widescreen LCD : Re: Good widescreen LCD Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good widescreen LCD
From: Alain
Date: 18 Nov 2007 11:59:26
Message: <47406f6e@news.povray.org>
Darren New nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/17 19:45:
> Rune wrote:
>> A lot of preprocessing is done in the eyes themselves before the
>> visual data is sent to the brain.
>
> You'd be amazed. :-)
>
>> For example, the eyes have an edge detecting layer I think, or
>> something along those lines.
>
> First a change detector layer, then from that a bunch of edge detectors,
> then object detectors, then motion detection, then ...
>
> Before it leaves you're eyes, they already know there's something large
> coming towards you from the left. That info is hooked directly from eyes
> to neck muscles.
>
>> This layer could find all the edges of the bars in your image and send
>> information about these edges on to the brain, so that the brain can
>> tell how many bars there are.
>
> True.
>
>> The eyes also send the actual "raw" brightness info on to the brain,
>> but this may be in a "low resolution" where no more than 16 different
>> shades can be told apart.
>
> Well, it's an analog pulse train. Actually, I'm not sure how far up the
> pile before *you* decide it's no longer eyes and has become brain. I'm
> also not sure if the cells that actually sense light are integrated into
> anything at a higher level at all, or whether all their info is
> processed before getting to the "brain" part.
>
>> However, the brain can still count all the bars, becuase of the edges
>> detected in the eyes.
>
>> I'm not saying it's like that; just that your image doesn't prove
>> anything about the amount of gray scales the brain can tell apart. So
>> it really comes down to what you mean by "human visual system" - the
>> eyes or the brain.
>
> I think if you're picking out a monitor, you're worried about your
> brain's perception of it. :-)

Processing steps for human vision:
- retina catch light
- Raw image processing by the retina itself
- More image processing between the retina and the optical nerve
- Still more processing by the optical nerve (maybe the only nerve that have
actual processing capability)
- Final gross processing by the brain
- Pattern recognition and image reconstruction
- Visual memory cross references image completion
I may have missed/myss ordered some steps...

--
Alain
There will always be beer cans rolling on the floor of your car when the boss