POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good widescreen LCD : Re: Good widescreen LCD Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good widescreen LCD
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 17 Nov 2007 19:08:37
Message: <473f8285$1@news.povray.org>

> What if your vision was blanked for a time (eg. half-second or second)
> between each successive frame?  How many grey shades could you
> distinguish reliably?

That wouldn't be a fair test. It's hard for humans to find differences
between two images (even big differences) if the image blanks for a
second before showing the other. I saw an example that swapped two
images with a black screen in between, then did it again without the
black screen and *then% I could notice the differences.

Anyway, I don't care about an accurate test of eye sensitivity. I just
know that I can notice "color bands" on grayscale images, and more bits
per channel would avoid that.