POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:20 EDT (-0400)
  Portal (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: Slime
Subject: Portal
Date: 14 Oct 2007 04:57:31
Message: <4711d9fb$1@news.povray.org>
Anyone else playing Portal? I bet almost everyone here would enjoy it. It's
a short game but it's really good. $20 on Steam.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Portal
Date: 14 Oct 2007 05:23:32
Message: <4711e014$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> Anyone else playing Portal? I bet almost everyone here would enjoy it. It's
> a short game but it's really good. $20 on Steam.

I completed it last night.

Basically took about 2 days to complete. The initial puzzles are easy,
but the later ones are really quite hard. The "party goer" scene was
pretty nuts! The heart breaker scene is more tedious than difficult.
[References kept deliberately cryptic to not spoil the surprise for
anyone else who decides they want to play it...]

I'm now doing the advanced puzzles. The first few were tricky, but the
final three are, as far as I can tell, mathematically impossible. (E.g.,
you have to walk into a room filled with sentry guns that cannot be
disabled and place a weight on a button. The walls are all metal, so you
cannot use portals. You must walk. This is obviously impossible.)

It's quite a... dark... game... isn't it? My favourite quote is still
this one:

"Note that for this test, a penalty for failure has been added. Touching
the floor of this chamber will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your
record (followed by death)."

Also, the way the sentry guns talk to you in those cute little voices...
"Come here please..." *shudders*

The song at the end is... interesting too.

Post a reply to this message

> Basically took about 2 days to complete. The initial puzzles are easy,
> but the later ones are really quite hard. The "party goer" scene was
> pretty nuts! The heart breaker scene is more tedious than difficult.
> [References kept deliberately cryptic to not spoil the surprise for
> anyone else who decides they want to play it...]

The "party goer" scene scared the hell out of me. I played the entire game
in one sitting so I was really immersed. I made it through on the first try
though so I was proud. The heart breaker scene wasn't hard once you figured
out how to do it (which took me about 10 seconds too long on the first try
so I just barely lost), but it's funny.

> I'm now doing the advanced puzzles. The first few were tricky, but the
> final three are, as far as I can tell, mathematically impossible. (E.g.,
> you have to walk into a room filled with sentry guns that cannot be
> disabled and place a weight on a button. The walls are all metal, so you
> cannot use portals. You must walk. This is obviously impossible.)

Haha. They can't shoot you if they can't see you. The next level isn't so
hard IMO, you just have to figure out how to handle the double door
situation. The final level took me some time to figure out how to get past
the first part, but then it's pretty straightforward.

> It's quite a... dark... game... isn't it?

Everyone I've talked to has agreed with me that it reminds them of the movie
Cube. At the same time, it's a very funny game. The combination of suspense,
humor, and solid gameplay is what makes it so great.

> The song at the end is... interesting too.

I can't get it out of my head. =)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> The "party goer" scene scared the hell out of me. I played the entire game
> in one sitting so I was really immersed.

I know! I'm like "oh my God, what the hell?? That's IT?! No way!" It was
like HL2 all over again...

> I made it through on the first try though so I was proud.

...and then I thought "hey, look, that wall isn't metal... I wonder..."

"What are you doing?! STOP IT!!!"

Muhuhuhuhu! >:-D

Possibly the nestest twist in a game, like, EVER...

> The heart breaker scene wasn't hard once you figured
> out how to do it (which took me about 10 seconds too long on the first try
> so I just barely lost), but it's funny.

Yeah, me too. It's easy but tedious. The only really hard part is moving
quickly enough to miss the time limit. (And since you can't run...)

>> I'm now doing the advanced puzzles. The first few were tricky, but the
>> final three are, as far as I can tell, mathematically impossible. (E.g.,
>> you have to walk into a room filled with sentry guns that cannot be
>> disabled and place a weight on a button. The walls are all metal, so you
>> cannot use portals. You must walk. This is obviously impossible.)
>
> Haha. They can't shoot you if they can't see you.

field of view...

Seriously. It was quite easy to get that far (despite how impossible it
looks), but I cannot get past that.

> The next level isn't so
> hard IMO, you just have to figure out how to handle the double door
> situation. The final level took me some time to figure out how to get past
> the first part, but then it's pretty straightforward.

I've looked at all of the last three levels. They all contain an element
which is impossible. I can't solve any of them. And that's just boring.

One contains a room where entry results in instantaneous death. One
contains a room with a port behind glass so there's no way to feed in an
orb (even if the walls *weren't* all metal). And one contains a 60 foot
jump and all surfaces are made of metal. All equally impossible.

>> It's quite a... dark... game... isn't it?
>
> Everyone I've talked to has agreed with me that it reminds them of the movie
> Cube.

Is that anything like Sphere? (Man that film sucked...)

> At the same time, it's a very funny game. The combination of suspense,
> humor, and solid gameplay is what makes it so great.

Well, I scare easily, but I found it quite a frightening game...

>> The song at the end is... interesting too.
>
> I can't get it out of my head. =)

I can't remember it well enough for that to be a problem. ;-)

All I remember is "...and the science get's done, and we make a cool gun..."

OK, admit it. How long did you spend admiring your character's ass? ;-)

Post a reply to this message