POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Slime
Date: 14 Oct 2007 05:37:25
Message: <4711e355$1@news.povray.org>
> Basically took about 2 days to complete. The initial puzzles are easy,
> but the later ones are really quite hard. The "party goer" scene was
> pretty nuts! The heart breaker scene is more tedious than difficult.
> [References kept deliberately cryptic to not spoil the surprise for
> anyone else who decides they want to play it...]

The "party goer" scene scared the hell out of me. I played the entire game
in one sitting so I was really immersed. I made it through on the first try
though so I was proud. The heart breaker scene wasn't hard once you figured
out how to do it (which took me about 10 seconds too long on the first try
so I just barely lost), but it's funny.

> I'm now doing the advanced puzzles. The first few were tricky, but the
> final three are, as far as I can tell, mathematically impossible. (E.g.,
> you have to walk into a room filled with sentry guns that cannot be
> disabled and place a weight on a button. The walls are all metal, so you
> cannot use portals. You must walk. This is obviously impossible.)

Haha. They can't shoot you if they can't see you. The next level isn't so
hard IMO, you just have to figure out how to handle the double door
situation. The final level took me some time to figure out how to get past
the first part, but then it's pretty straightforward.

> It's quite a... dark... game... isn't it?

Everyone I've talked to has agreed with me that it reminds them of the movie
Cube. At the same time, it's a very funny game. The combination of suspense,
humor, and solid gameplay is what makes it so great.

> The song at the end is... interesting too.

I can't get it out of my head. =)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]