POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 14 Oct 2007 06:00:53
Message: <4711e8d5$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

> The "party goer" scene scared the hell out of me. I played the entire game
> in one sitting so I was really immersed.

I know! I'm like "oh my God, what the hell?? That's IT?! No way!" It was
like HL2 all over again...

> I made it through on the first try though so I was proud.

...and then I thought "hey, look, that wall isn't metal... I wonder..."

"What are you doing?! STOP IT!!!"

Muhuhuhuhu! >:-D

Possibly the nestest twist in a game, like, EVER...

> The heart breaker scene wasn't hard once you figured
> out how to do it (which took me about 10 seconds too long on the first try
> so I just barely lost), but it's funny.

Yeah, me too. It's easy but tedious. The only really hard part is moving
quickly enough to miss the time limit. (And since you can't run...)

>> I'm now doing the advanced puzzles. The first few were tricky, but the
>> final three are, as far as I can tell, mathematically impossible. (E.g.,
>> you have to walk into a room filled with sentry guns that cannot be
>> disabled and place a weight on a button. The walls are all metal, so you
>> cannot use portals. You must walk. This is obviously impossible.)
>
> Haha. They can't shoot you if they can't see you.

field of view...

Seriously. It was quite easy to get that far (despite how impossible it
looks), but I cannot get past that.

> The next level isn't so
> hard IMO, you just have to figure out how to handle the double door
> situation. The final level took me some time to figure out how to get past
> the first part, but then it's pretty straightforward.

I've looked at all of the last three levels. They all contain an element
which is impossible. I can't solve any of them. And that's just boring.

One contains a room where entry results in instantaneous death. One
contains a room with a port behind glass so there's no way to feed in an
orb (even if the walls *weren't* all metal). And one contains a 60 foot
jump and all surfaces are made of metal. All equally impossible.

>> It's quite a... dark... game... isn't it?
>
> Everyone I've talked to has agreed with me that it reminds them of the movie
> Cube.

Is that anything like Sphere? (Man that film sucked...)

> At the same time, it's a very funny game. The combination of suspense,
> humor, and solid gameplay is what makes it so great.

Well, I scare easily, but I found it quite a frightening game...

>> The song at the end is... interesting too.
>
> I can't get it out of my head. =)

I can't remember it well enough for that to be a problem. ;-)

All I remember is "...and the science get's done, and we make a cool gun..."

OK, admit it. How long did you spend admiring your character's ass? ;-)