POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Portal : Re: Portal Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 14 Oct 2007 05:23:32
Message: <4711e014$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> Anyone else playing Portal? I bet almost everyone here would enjoy it. It's
> a short game but it's really good. $20 on Steam.

I completed it last night.

Basically took about 2 days to complete. The initial puzzles are easy,
but the later ones are really quite hard. The "party goer" scene was
pretty nuts! The heart breaker scene is more tedious than difficult.
[References kept deliberately cryptic to not spoil the surprise for
anyone else who decides they want to play it...]

I'm now doing the advanced puzzles. The first few were tricky, but the
final three are, as far as I can tell, mathematically impossible. (E.g.,
you have to walk into a room filled with sentry guns that cannot be
disabled and place a weight on a button. The walls are all metal, so you
cannot use portals. You must walk. This is obviously impossible.)

It's quite a... dark... game... isn't it? My favourite quote is still
this one:

"Note that for this test, a penalty for failure has been added. Touching
the floor of this chamber will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your
record (followed by death)."

Also, the way the sentry guns talk to you in those cute little voices...
"Come here please..." *shudders*

The song at the end is... interesting too.