POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:06:27 EDT (-0400)
  Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Garrett Baird
Subject: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces?
Date: 16 May 2010 03:20:00
Message: <web.4bef9bf9615269587ad077850@news.povray.org>
Hello all,
I've spent a bit of time googling but I've not been able to answer a rather
basic question:  I've got a scene that consists of around 300 polyhedra, each of
which is described by about 20 linear inequalities of the form ax + by + cz <=
d.  The faces of these polyhedra have different image maps that are being
applied to them.  Is it faster if I represent these polyhedra as a union of
faces, rather than an intersection of half planes?  Currently my scene is
rendering very slowly and I'd like to know if it's bad coding on my part or just
the way things work.

Thanks, GB

Post a reply to this message

Garrett Baird <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've spent a bit of time googling but I've not been able to answer a rather
> basic question:  I've got a scene that consists of around 300 polyhedra, each of
> which is described by about 20 linear inequalities of the form ax + by + cz <=
> d.  The faces of these polyhedra have different image maps that are being
> applied to them.  Is it faster if I represent these polyhedra as a union of
> faces, rather than an intersection of half planes?  Currently my scene is
> rendering very slowly and I'd like to know if it's bad coding on my part or just
> the way things work.

  The most efficient way is to create a mesh (or mesh2) from your polyhedron.
You can apply individual textures to each triangle, so it's not a problem.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Am 16.05.2010 09:17, schrieb Garrett Baird:

> I've spent a bit of time googling but I've not been able to answer a rather
> basic question:  I've got a scene that consists of around 300 polyhedra, each of
> which is described by about 20 linear inequalities of the form ax + by + cz<=
> d.  The faces of these polyhedra have different image maps that are being
> applied to them.  Is it faster if I represent these polyhedra as a union of
> faces, rather than an intersection of half planes?  Currently my scene is
> rendering very slowly and I'd like to know if it's bad coding on my part or just
> the way things work.

Specifying a bounding box (using bounded_by) might help a lot, as
POV-Ray will probably be unable to auto-generate bounding boxes for the
polyhedra.

But, as Warp already noted, using a mesh would be the most efficient.
(You might want to use a mesh instead of a mesh2 though; not that it
makes any difference in speed - both use the same internal
representation - but usually a mesh is easier to generate from SDL.)

Post a reply to this message