POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? : Re: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces?
From: Warp
Date: 17 May 2010 07:38:42
Message: <4bf12ac1@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> You can have one mesh per face, each with it's own image_map. You then
> combine the various faces toggether using an union.

  That would be really inefficient and wouldn't benefit from mesh
optimizations at all.

> You can also combine the various views into a single image and, using UV
> maping, have that image wrap around a single mesh.

  There's no need to do that.

> You can also have a single mesh and apply different images to different
> areas.

  Honestly, I can't understand why that wasn't your *only* suggestion,
because the other ones don't make too much sense.

  Meshes have an efficient way of using predefined textures in individual
triangles or even individual vertices, so that's obviously the best way of
doing that.

--
                                                          - Warp