POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? : Re: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:45:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces?
From: clipka
Date: 16 May 2010 04:29:47
Message: <4befacfb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.05.2010 09:17, schrieb Garrett Baird:

> I've spent a bit of time googling but I've not been able to answer a rather
> basic question:  I've got a scene that consists of around 300 polyhedra, each of
> which is described by about 20 linear inequalities of the form ax + by + cz<=
> d.  The faces of these polyhedra have different image maps that are being
> applied to them.  Is it faster if I represent these polyhedra as a union of
> faces, rather than an intersection of half planes?  Currently my scene is
> rendering very slowly and I'd like to know if it's bad coding on my part or just
> the way things work.

Specifying a bounding box (using bounded_by) might help a lot, as
POV-Ray will probably be unable to auto-generate bounding boxes for the
polyhedra.

But, as Warp already noted, using a mesh would be the most efficient.
(You might want to use a mesh instead of a mesh2 though; not that it
makes any difference in speed - both use the same internal
representation - but usually a mesh is easier to generate from SDL.)