POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? : Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces?
From: Garrett Baird
Date: 16 May 2010 03:20:00
Message: <web.4bef9bf9615269587ad077850@news.povray.org>
Hello all,
I've spent a bit of time googling but I've not been able to answer a rather
basic question:  I've got a scene that consists of around 300 polyhedra, each of
which is described by about 20 linear inequalities of the form ax + by + cz <=
d.  The faces of these polyhedra have different image maps that are being
applied to them.  Is it faster if I represent these polyhedra as a union of
faces, rather than an intersection of half planes?  Currently my scene is
rendering very slowly and I'd like to know if it's bad coding on my part or just
the way things work.

Thanks, GB