POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? : Re: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:56:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polyhedra -- intersections of planes or unions of faces?
From: Warp
Date: 18 May 2010 07:28:01
Message: <4bf279c1@news.povray.org>
Garrett Baird <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Thanks, fellows, for your helpful advice.  I've created a triangle mesh out of
> the whole affair, and it consists of 50,000 triangles in total.  Is that an
> exceptionally large number of triangles for a mesh, or is that a reasonable
> amount?  I realize it's a vague question, but I'm just trying to get a sense of
> what's "normally" done for projects of this type.

  It's ok. It would be interesting to know if it helped with the rendering
speed.

  Whether making the entire group of polyhedra in single mesh, or whether
making each polyhedron a mesh, would be more efficient, is not a trivial
question. If most of the polyhedrons are identical, you could at least
save memory by making one mesh from one polyhedron and then instantiating
it around, which might affect rendering speed as well.

--
                                                          - Warp