POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Waves on water with cyclic quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Waves on water with cyclic quality (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: deefstes
Subject: Waves on water with cyclic quality
Date: 12 Dec 2006 08:50:00
Message: <web.457eb3097f4fb8d27201fb850@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to put waves on water that appears random but is in fact
repetitive. What works well is something like this:

plane {<0,1,0>, 0
  texture {
    pigment { rgb <0.2, 0.2, 0.2> }
    normal { bumps 0.08 turbulence 0.6 }
    finish {
      ambient 0.05
      diffuse 0.55
      brilliance 6.0
      phong 0.8
      phong_size 120
      reflection 0.6
    }
  }
}

The only problem with this is that "bumps" is a random function. I other
words the waves on my water is random over the entire surface. I want to be
able to do a cyclic animation where I have something like translate
<clock*2*pi, 0, 0> so that it appears as if I'm constantly moving over the
rippled water.

I hope I'm making sense.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to put waves on water that appears random but is in fact
> repetitive. What works well is something like this:
>
> plane {<0,1,0>, 0
>   texture {
>     pigment { rgb <0.2, 0.2, 0.2> }
>     normal { bumps 0.08 turbulence 0.6 }
>     finish {
>       ambient 0.05
>       diffuse 0.55
>       brilliance 6.0
>       phong 0.8
>       phong_size 120
>       reflection 0.6
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> The only problem with this is that "bumps" is a random function. I other
> words the waves on my water is random over the entire surface. I want to be
> able to do a cyclic animation where I have something like translate
> <clock*2*pi, 0, 0> so that it appears as if I'm constantly moving over the
> rippled water.
>
> I hope I'm making sense.

Instead of bumps have you tried the ripples pattern? 3.5.11.29  Ripples. It
has a phase keyword that can be used to move the ripples outwards for
realistic animation.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message