POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Waves on water with cyclic quality : Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality
From: Chris B
Date: 12 Dec 2006 11:58:01
Message: <457edf99@news.povray.org>
"deefstes" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.457eb3097f4fb8d27201fb850@news.povray.org...
> I'm trying to put waves on water that appears random but is in fact
> repetitive. What works well is something like this:
>
> The only problem with this is that "bumps" is a random function. I other
> words the waves on my water is random over the entire surface. I want to
> be
> able to do a cyclic animation where I have something like translate
> <clock*2*pi, 0, 0> so that it appears as if I'm constantly moving over the
> rippled water.
>
> I hope I'm making sense.

You may want to consider rotating the texture around a centre some distance
above or below your plane, so the same texture comes round again once every
cycle. So if you use 'rotate 360*clock*x  translate <0,100,-20>' the first
and last frame should turn out the same.

If the rotational centre you use for the texture is held above the camera
then it should look like the waves are coming towards you. If you've got
other items in the scene and you want it to look like you're moving over the
surface you can move the totational centre of the texture along to keep pace
with the camera while still rotating the texture. This should then look like
a constantly changing seascape with waves approaching you but it should get
over the cycle issue.

Hope I've explained this clearly.

Regards,
Chris B.