POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Waves on water with cyclic quality : Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality
From: deefstes
Date: 12 Dec 2006 11:35:01
Message: <web.457ed945f7603ccd7201fb850@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> Instead of bumps have you tried the ripples pattern? 3.5.11.29  Ripples. It
> has a phase keyword that can be used to move the ripples outwards for
> realistic animation.
>
> Stephen

Thanks, that is a good idea and I have considered it. In fact, I'm hoping to
still find a way that I can use it. My probem is just that it also is random
across the entire surface.

I am trying to find a surface over which I can move and that will repeat
every so many pixels. In other words, if I move the camera (or the surface
for that matter) with translate <clock*2*pi,0,0> for instance, I need it to
repeat after every iteration of clock*2*pi. It would be great if I could
then adjust the phase of the ripples to also repeat after every clock*2*pi
(at least I know how to do that).

The reason I'm trying to do this is because I am rendering a bird that's
flying over water. The wings are flapping nicely and everything is working
well but, when the animation jumps back to the beginning, even though the
flapping of the wings repeat seamlessly, the waves on the water jumps
because the last fame and the first frame don't follow on each other.

As a sde note, I have tried using bump_map but have not had any good looking
results. Even so, if it did work I'm not convinced that it would have
sufficed because it would look as if the bird is flying over water with
rigid waves that don't change. The phase property of ripples or waves would
be essential - if only I could find a way to cause ripples or waves to
repeat predictably over space.