POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Waves on water with cyclic quality : Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2006 18:56:26
Message: <4580932a$1@news.povray.org>
deefstes nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 13-12-2006 07:22:
> Thanks for the help Stephen. I've had a look at your posting in p.b.a and it
> does look good. I've tweaked the normal around a bit (ultimately opted for
> ripples as opposed to waves inter alia) and came up with something that I'm
> happy with... for now. I've posted my result in p.b.a if you want to have a
> look.
>
> What's interesting is that the ripples are still random over the surface of
> the water but the way it moves when I clock the phase at least gives some
> sort of an appearance of translational movement which is god enough (as I
> said, for now).
>
> Chris B, your suggestion sounds intriguing and somehow I think that's going
> to be my ultimate sollution. To be honest though, I'm a little confused as
> to how to go about rotating the texture around an axis above the surface.
> I'll try to figure it out though but if you have more specific suggestions,
> I'm all ears.
Rotate then translate the texture up some distance.

> I had another idea also but, being a POVRay newbie, I'm not sure how to do
> that either (or if it is even possible). I was thinking that, if I could
> apply the ripples (or waves) function to the normal twice but the one being
> offset by some distance horizontally. Then I can adjust their phase at the
> same rate (with clock) and adjust their amplitude so that when clock=0, the
> first ripple function will be at full amplitude and the second one at zero
> and when clock=1 the first ripple function will be at zero amplitude and
> the second one at full.
>
> For arguments sake, let's say I render with +KI0 +KF1 +KFI0 +KFF15
> now if one ripple is configured as:
>    texture { ripples clock phase clock }
> and the second one:
>    texture { ripples 1-clock phase clock } translate <10, 0, 0>
>
> Now, if I set up the camera to be something like
> camera {
>    location <clock*10, 2, -15>
>    look_at <clock*10, 0, 0>
> }
>
> it should work, shouldn't it? Theonly question is, how do I add those two
> textures together? My limited understanding of layered textures tells me
> that one will always be on top of the other and therefor not really do the
> trick.
Use the average "pattern". Then, use the clock to modulate the ponderation of
the two texture, one going from 0 to 1, the other from 1 to 0.

> Oh well, I've spent more time no this already than I really have available.
>
> Cheers

The waves and ripples patterns are essencialy identical, differing only by the
wave type. waves give smooth, more rounded, ondulations. ripples give a more
pronounced pattern.

--
Alain
Taoism: Shit happens.