POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Waves on water with cyclic quality : Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waves on water with cyclic quality
From: deefstes
Date: 13 Dec 2006 07:25:01
Message: <web.457ff069f7603ccd7201fb850@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the help Stephen. I've had a look at your posting in p.b.a and it
does look good. I've tweaked the normal around a bit (ultimately opted for
ripples as opposed to waves inter alia) and came up with something that I'm
happy with... for now. I've posted my result in p.b.a if you want to have a
look.

What's interesting is that the ripples are still random over the surface of
the water but the way it moves when I clock the phase at least gives some
sort of an appearance of translational movement which is god enough (as I
said, for now).

Chris B, your suggestion sounds intriguing and somehow I think that's going
to be my ultimate sollution. To be honest though, I'm a little confused as
to how to go about rotating the texture around an axis above the surface.
I'll try to figure it out though but if you have more specific suggestions,
I'm all ears.

I had another idea also but, being a POVRay newbie, I'm not sure how to do
that either (or if it is even possible). I was thinking that, if I could
apply the ripples (or waves) function to the normal twice but the one being
offset by some distance horizontally. Then I can adjust their phase at the
same rate (with clock) and adjust their amplitude so that when clock=0, the
first ripple function will be at full amplitude and the second one at zero
and when clock=1 the first ripple function will be at zero amplitude and
the second one at full.

For arguments sake, let's say I render with +KI0 +KF1 +KFI0 +KFF15
now if one ripple is configured as:
   texture { ripples clock phase clock }
and the second one:
   texture { ripples 1-clock phase clock } translate <10, 0, 0>

Now, if I set up the camera to be something like
camera {
   location <clock*10, 2, -15>
   look_at <clock*10, 0, 0>
}

it should work, shouldn't it? Theonly question is, how do I add those two
textures together? My limited understanding of layered textures tells me
that one will always be on top of the other and therefor not really do the
trick.

Oh well, I've spent more time no this already than I really have available.

Cheers