POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Exporting form 3ds max to povray 3.6 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Exporting form 3ds max to povray 3.6 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: einarabelc5
Subject: Exporting form 3ds max to povray 3.6
Date: 13 Oct 2006 15:05:01
Message: <web.452fe2a663fb067db3ef1e1c0@news.povray.org>
Hello Folks:

I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural files
created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.

I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files (which
3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
http://www.tb-software.com/products.html

It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format from
3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to render finally
in unix.

The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was using
the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the exporting
to pov.

Do you know of any converter/exporter that does the transformation form .ase
to .pov effectively?

I already tried Polytrans which exports directly to .pov but POV RAY doesn't
process the results...

Also used polytrans&3dwin to try combinations of formats, the most
satisfactory so far is the .ase which DOES NOT require polytrans only
default 3ds max capabilities.

P.S. If it works in UNIX/linux that would be a significant plus

Many thanks in advance. (y)

Post a reply to this message

> I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural
> files created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.
>
> I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files
> (which 3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
> http://www.tb-software.com/products.html
>
> It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format
> from 3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to
> render finally in unix.
>
> The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was
> using the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the
> exporting to pov.

Can you post an example image of what you mean?  Perhaps you just have to
set up the materials manually?  Perhaps the converter is just not
translating the materials properly (if they are even stored in the .ase
file, I do not remember).

Post a reply to this message

> > I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural
> > files created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.
> >
> > I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files
> > (which 3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
> > http://www.tb-software.com/products.html
> >
> > It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format
> > from 3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to
> > render finally in unix.
> >
> > The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was
> > using the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the
> > exporting to pov.
>
> Can you post an example image of what you mean?  Perhaps you just have to
> set up the materials manually?  Perhaps the converter is just not
> translating the materials properly (if they are even stored in the .ase
> file, I do not remember).

Well the thing is my friend this newsletter wouldn't allow me to do just
that so instead I'm linking to a forum where I posted some images.
There is a comparison between gelato and povray...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820

Post a reply to this message

einarabelc5 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/10/2006 13:30:
> "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>> einarabelc5 wrote:
>>> Hello Folks:

>>> I am trying to use pov ray in unix as a renderer of architectural
>>> files created in 3d Studio Viz/3d Studio max.

>>> I've been looking for an exporter/format translator from .ase files
>>> (which 3ds MAx exports)  to the .pov format. I found this:
>>> http://www.tb-software.com/products.html

>>> It does work; I can render lights in POV ray using the .ase format
>>> from 3dsmax, then importing it in 3dwin and exporting to .pov to
>>> render finally in unix.

>>> The only thing is the render looks cartoonish, I mean like if it was
>>> using the cartoon shader, which I deactivated on 3dwin when doing the
>>> exporting to pov.
>> Can you post an example image of what you mean?  Perhaps you just have to
>> set up the materials manually?  Perhaps the converter is just not
>> translating the materials properly (if they are even stored in the .ase
>> file, I do not remember).

> Well the thing is my friend this newsletter wouldn't allow me to do just
> that so instead I'm linking to a forum where I posted some images.
> There is a comparison between gelato and povray...

> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820

The gelato image is totaly black.

--
Alain
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Post a reply to this message

> einarabelc5 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/10/2006 13:30:

> >> Can you post an example image of what you mean?  Perhaps you just have to
> >> set up the materials manually?  Perhaps the converter is just not
> >> translating the materials properly (if they are even stored in the .ase
> >> file, I do not remember).
>

> > Well the thing is my friend this newsletter wouldn't allow me to do just
> > that so instead I'm linking to a forum where I posted some images.
> > There is a comparison between gelato and povray...
>
> > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820
>

> The gelato image is totaly black.
>
> --
> Alain
> Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

That doesn't make the POV less cartoonish now does it?

Anyway I am fixing it for comparison sake. If anyone has made a succesful
render of a 3ds max (6 or up plz) scene with materials using POV-RAY please
post a link to it.

Thx.

Post a reply to this message

"einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > einarabelc5 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/10/2006 13:30:

> > > Well the thing is my friend this newsletter wouldn't allow me to do just
> > > that so instead I'm linking to a forum where I posted some images.
> > > There is a comparison between gelato and povray...
> >
> > > http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19820
> >

> > The gelato image is totaly black.
> >
> > --
> > Alain
> > Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.
>
> That doesn't make the POV less cartoonish now does it?
>
> Anyway I am fixing it for comparison sake. If anyone has made a succesful
> render of a 3ds max (6 or up plz) scene with materials using POV-RAY please
> post a link to it.
>
> Thx.

Check back the link there is a whole secene in 3dsmax .max, .ASE and .POV
in:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=19820&st=0#entry120168

Post a reply to this message

"einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "einarabelc5" <ein### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > > einarabelc5 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 14/10/2006 13:30:

> > > The gelato image is totaly black.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alain
> > > Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.
> >
> > That doesn't make the POV less cartoonish now does it?
> >
> > Anyway I am fixing it for comparison sake. If anyone has made a succesful
> > render of a 3ds max (6 or up plz) scene with materials using POV-RAY please
> > post a link to it.
> >
> > Thx.
>

> Check back the link there is a whole secene in 3dsmax .max, .ASE and .POV
> in:
>
> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=19820&st=0#entry120168

It seems to be a problem with the 3dwin Demo Version.