POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Soft Shadows? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 19:51:29 EDT (-0400)
  Soft Shadows? (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: IronLogic
Subject: Soft Shadows?
Date: 7 Feb 2015 14:50:01
Message: <web.54d66c3668a5702357b385d60@news.povray.org>
I expect this question has been asked before, but i'm wondering whether there is
a specific reason why POV-Ray only supports soft shadows on Area lights,
considering its age and all the other features it has (e.g. radiosity,
volumetrics, photon mapping etc.).

Soft shadows on all lights is quite a standard feature of renderers, and in
theory quite a simple process (although I'm not a programmer), but I have no
idea why this renderer never got it despite its age. Being able to add soft
shadows to directional and point lights would be a tremendous benefit to most
scenes, unless of course there is a workaround for it.

P.S. Same goes for glossy reflections too, while there is a workaround for it,
it is not a particularly 'clean' solution (unless you use MegaPOV instead). AO
also seems impossible without using a workaround with Radiosity, which kind of
kills the point of using AO to 'fake' GI a bit and speed up renders :/

Post a reply to this message

Le 07/02/2015 20:49, IronLogic a écrit :
> I expect this question has been asked before, but i'm wondering whether there is
> a specific reason why POV-Ray only supports soft shadows on Area lights,
> considering its age and all the other features it has (e.g. radiosity,
> volumetrics, photon mapping etc.).
>
> Soft shadows on all lights is quite a standard feature of renderers, and in
> theory quite a simple process (although I'm not a programmer), but I have no
> idea why this renderer never got it despite its age. Being able to add soft
> shadows to directional and point lights would be a tremendous benefit to most
> scenes, unless of course there is a workaround for it.
>
> P.S. Same goes for glossy reflections too, while there is a workaround for it,
> it is not a particularly 'clean' solution (unless you use MegaPOV instead). AO
> also seems impossible without using a workaround with Radiosity, which kind of
> kills the point of using AO to 'fake' GI a bit and speed up renders :/

What is GI, AO ?

About soft shadow... if it's a point of light, it cannot be soft.-

Or you have a definition of point that is no more a point.

Area lights have many optimisation (such as adaptative) which can be
used to have real large array without the cost of as many point lights.

jitter, orient & circular are cool too.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_4_1_5

Maybe wanting something like the fading cone of spot light ?

Post a reply to this message