POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Soft Shadows? : Re: Soft Shadows? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:28:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soft Shadows?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 7 Feb 2015 15:40:04
Message: <54d67824@news.povray.org>
Le 07/02/2015 20:49, IronLogic a écrit :
> I expect this question has been asked before, but i'm wondering whether there is
> a specific reason why POV-Ray only supports soft shadows on Area lights,
> considering its age and all the other features it has (e.g. radiosity,
> volumetrics, photon mapping etc.).
>
> Soft shadows on all lights is quite a standard feature of renderers, and in
> theory quite a simple process (although I'm not a programmer), but I have no
> idea why this renderer never got it despite its age. Being able to add soft
> shadows to directional and point lights would be a tremendous benefit to most
> scenes, unless of course there is a workaround for it.
>
> P.S. Same goes for glossy reflections too, while there is a workaround for it,
> it is not a particularly 'clean' solution (unless you use MegaPOV instead). AO
> also seems impossible without using a workaround with Radiosity, which kind of
> kills the point of using AO to 'fake' GI a bit and speed up renders :/

What is GI, AO ?

About soft shadow... if it's a point of light, it cannot be soft.-

Or you have a definition of point that is no more a point.

Area lights have many optimisation (such as adaptative) which can be
used to have real large array without the cost of as many point lights.

jitter, orient & circular are cool too.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_4_1_5

Maybe wanting something like the fading cone of spot light ?