POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Soft Shadows? : Re: Soft Shadows? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:32:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soft Shadows?
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 8 Feb 2015 13:02:56
Message: <op.xtq2241vufxv4h@xena.home>
On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 18:02:26 +0200, IronLogic <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>
>> What is GI, AO ?
>>
>> About soft shadow... if it's a point of light, it cannot be soft.-
>>
>> Or you have a definition of point that is no more a point.
>>
>> Area lights have many optimisation (such as adaptative) which can be
>> used to have real large array without the cost of as many point lights.
>>
>> jitter, orient & circular are cool too.
>>
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_4_1_5
>>
>> Maybe wanting something like the fading cone of spot light ?
>
> GI = Indirect Lighting (Like Radiosity), AO is a fast method of faking
> shadows
> in crevices, which helps enormously when faking indirect lighting to
> speed up
> renders.
>
> Also you can have soft shadows with point lights (or in fact any light),
> many
> other render engines do it. You just have to trace a bunch of shadow
> rays up
> towards the light rather than just one, and give them a semi-random
> offset
> between the direction of the light and a user defined maximum (which
> defines how
> soft the shadow is). The more rays you trace the cleaner it will be.

Do you mean like the shadows in Sky Captain and Toy Story 1?

Such shadows are totally unrealistic because they are blurred the same
amount not matter how far away they are from the object. Just because
other renderers do it, doesn't mean it is correct. These soft shadows are
a scan-line renderer shortcut for actual area light shadows that render
longer. Pov-Ray is not a scan-line renderer, it is a ray-tracer. I suggest
you use an Area Light with jitter, circular and orient, and making it the
size of the globe it represents to give you a more realistic soft shadow.

Take a look at any soft shadow in real life and you will see that where
the shadow meats the object casting it, the shadow is sharp. The further
away the shadow is from the object, the softer the shadow is.

--
-Nekar Xenos-