POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow artifacts in converted Daz models Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Shadow artifacts in converted Daz models (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Shadow artifacts in converted Daz models
Date: 2 Nov 2006 06:20:00
Message: <web.4549d342da88e9cb731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapgfr> wrote:
> For what it's worth this drove me crazy when I worked on the "Reach for the
> stars" image. It's even mentioned in the "Making of". See the artifact under
> the kid's left eye: http://www.oyonale.com/iss/english/makingof_3.htm

That is helpful, actually. It proves (at least to my satisfaction) that it's
not something really obvious I'm doing wrong!

> I never found a solution, that's why the kid isn't facing the viewer in the
> final image... It's definitely related to a mixture of transparent and
> non-transparent zones in certain meshes, under certain lighting conditions.

Is there anything special about how POV-Ray calculates shadows for triangles
in mesh2s? In particular, are the triangles' inside/outside directions
important? Aside from the transparency mapping, these regions are also
unique because they are non-closed areas floating over the rest of the body
mesh. Just a thought.

Could it also be relevant that my Aiko is actually in a union? I must
experiment with the CSG aspect tonight.

I shall ruminate further
Bill

Post a reply to this message