POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow artifacts in converted Daz models : Re: Shadow artifacts in converted Daz models Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow artifacts in converted Daz models
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Nov 2006 05:40:00
Message: <web.454b1c41da88e9cb731f01d10@news.povray.org>
FlyerX <fly### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I tried 0.1% scale and worked properly. At 0.001% most of the triangles
> were missing. But this does not match the original image from Bill where
> the shadow is broken but the model seems complete. For such large gaps
> the model would have visible tears in the mesh. Maybe is the small image
> and I can't see them.
That sounds like a different problem. In my images, the lit areas correspond
exactly to the shadows of the eyes, eyebrows and eyelashes, although it's
not clear what's happening with the hair due to the complexity of that
object (I assume it's similar).
I didn't try scaling in the end, I was trying something else first, but I
had a look at the geom.inc file and all the vertex coodinates appear to be
between 0.0-1.0 and no more than 6 or 7 decimal places. I will try the
scaling trick just to make sure, but I don't think it's the culprit.

This doesn't shed any light on the phenomenon, but I have had partial
success in clearing the problem by exporting the eyes, eyebrows etc from
PoseRay as a separate mesh, and setting no_shadow for this object in
POV-Ray. I can't do this for the hair, however, so there are still a couple
of light patches at certain angles. This trick might have helped with the
kid in 'Reach for the Stars', I don't know.

> For DAZ|Studio export the default Bryce preset should be used. Although
> I did not remember to update the PoseRay manual with the new DAZ Studio
> export dialog it does mention to export as a Bryce object.
Hmm, I don't remember that... I'll have to have another look at the
DAZ|Studio end of business. But I won't hold my breath; Gilles said he had
the same problem using Poser (although I don't know if he used PoseRay or
not).

Anyway, I shall persevere. The scene's looking really nice; it's just this
mesh issue left to solve really... it's going to be a daylight version of
my IRTC entry in case anybody's curious.

Bill