POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Virtualight (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Virtualight
Date: 24 May 2003 13:07:43
Message: <3ecfa6df@news.povray.org>
Hugo Asm <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote:
> radiosity. This is the same term as global illumination.

  It's better to use term "global illumination" (and if you want to be
more specific, add "stochastic" before it) than "radiosity" when writing
to not-only-povray groups to not to cause confusion.
  "Radiosity" is the name of a specific algorithm (which has nothing to do
with the algorithm used by POV-Ray) and the term is usually used in this
meaning.

"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   It's better to use term "global illumination" (and if you want to be
> more specific, add "stochastic" before it) than "radiosity" when writing
> to not-only-povray groups to not to cause confusion.
>   "Radiosity" is the name of a specific algorithm (which has nothing to do
> with the algorithm used by POV-Ray) and the term is usually used in this
> meaning.

So, to sum it up, radiosity is a subset of global illumination, i.e., one of
the method or algorithm used in global illumination.  The context of
radiosity in POV-Ray means achieving the same effect but not implemented
using that particular "Radiosity" algorithm.  If that is the case, any
reason for the difference in implementation?

Daniel.

Post a reply to this message