POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:08:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 May 2003 09:45:49
Message: <cjameshuff-74C6E3.08471829052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ecfc513@news.povray.org>, "Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> > It's better to use term "global illumination" (and if you want to be
> > more specific, add "stochastic" before it) than "radiosity" when
> > writing to not-only-povray groups to not to cause confusion.
>
> Thanks Warp. I rarely go outside the POV-Ray forums to discuss these things,
> so I didn't know. When you say, the algoritm used in POV-Ray isn't typical
> radiosity, I assume it was modified. What happened to the "backwards monte
> carlo" ?

"Monte carlo" in this sense refers using multiple randomized samples to
obtain a result. As for the "backwards", POV radiosity still traces
light through the scene back to its source as in ordinary backwards
raytracing, it just follows the indirect reflection routes. Forward
raytracing would follow the light in the actual direction it travels,
photon mapping is an example of this. Photon mapping can also be used
for global illumination, though this isn't implemented in POV.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/