POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: gonzo
Date: 24 May 2003 21:43:07
Message: <3ed01fab@news.povray.org>
Daniel Ngu <ngu### [at] xtraconz> wrote in message

> What modeler would you recommend for POVRay?  I strived to do everything
> using a text editor as I reckon I will have better control over the scene
> but is it really feasible to come up with higly complex scene without the
> help of a modeler.
>
> Daniel.

There are many different methods of modelling, some are better for certain
things.
You can try Hamapatch, ( http://www.geocities.com/hamapatch/program/ ) a
good little spline modeller for a lot of things, although some kinds of
highly detailed modeling can get very tedious in it.
Wings3d ( http://www.wings3d.com/ ) is a good subdivision modeller which is
capable of very detailed objects.
Also Blender has a lot of excellent tools as Andreas mentioned, although be
forewarned its interface is not very intuitive...  (It seems to be one of
those interfaces certain types love altogether, while everyone else just
shakes their head. Unfortunately, I'm the head shaking type... I find the
program completely unusable :-(  But it does have a lot of good things in
one package.)

But never discount POV's SDL, I only started using POV last August (after a
couple years of using Bryce & Hamapatch) and already find I'm using SDL most
of the time and only using external modellers for a few specific things
(People mostly, for which I use Poser although I'm trying to learn to model
characters in Wings3d.)

Enjoy! RG