POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 24 May 2003 15:16:35
Message: <3ecfc513@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> It's better to use term "global illumination" (and if you want to be
> more specific, add "stochastic" before it) than "radiosity" when
> writing to not-only-povray groups to not to cause confusion.

Thanks Warp. I rarely go outside the POV-Ray forums to discuss these things,
so I didn't know. When you say, the algoritm used in POV-Ray isn't typical
radiosity, I assume it was modified. What happened to the "backwards monte
carlo" ?

Daniel wrote:
> any reason for the difference in implementation?

I think this has to do with how POV-Ray handle objects. Most raytracers work
on triangles, POV-Ray does not only do this.

Regards,
Hugo