POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HeightField Glass Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  HeightField Glass (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: flame-mike
Subject: HeightField Glass
Date: 8 May 2007 15:55:02
Message: <web.4640d4eb7a83c8141d1bbab40@news.povray.org>
I want create an image like this
http://www.geocities.com/gplflame/demo1.html.
I found it in fractal mailing list. Please tell, how I can create this from
height field. I only need height-fields, because I will make this image
from existing fractals images

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: HeightField Glass
Date: 8 May 2007 18:03:23
Message: <4640f3ab$1@news.povray.org>
flame-mike nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 8 / 05 / 2007 15:52:
> I want create an image like this
> http://www.geocities.com/gplflame/demo1.html.
> I found it in fractal mailing list. Please tell, how I can create this from
> height field. I only need height-fields, because I will make this image
> from existing fractals images

If you want to make something similat to that from height_filed, then you need
several as there are many overlaping parts. Each height_field will have to be
differenced from a copy of itseld with a negative scaling. Then, you need a
transparent texture and add an interior with fade_color and fade_distance, and
possibly fade_power. Each height_filed will then need to be rotated in acordance
to the orientation of the various elements. Lastly, bind everything in a merge.

--
Alain
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and

Post a reply to this message

From: flame-mike
Date: 10 May 2007 14:25:01
Message: <web.46436339b8b26c1a1d1bbab40@news.povray.org>
Sorry, but can you give me a sample scene from this height-field
http://www.geocities.com/gplflame/demo2.html .

Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> flame-mike nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 8 / 05 / 2007 15:52:
> > I want create an image like this
> > http://www.geocities.com/gplflame/demo1.html.
> > I found it in fractal mailing list. Please tell, how I can create this from
> > height field. I only need height-fields, because I will make this image
> > from existing fractals images
> >

> If you want to make something similat to that from height_filed, then you need
> several as there are many overlaping parts. Each height_field will have to be
> differenced from a copy of itseld with a negative scaling. Then, you need a
> transparent texture and add an interior with fade_color and fade_distance, and
> possibly fade_power. Each height_filed will then need to be rotated in acordance
> to the orientation of the various elements. Lastly, bind everything in a merge.
>
> --
> Alain
> For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and
> armed militia is their best security.
> Thomas Jefferson

Post a reply to this message

From: Lukas Winter
Date: 10 May 2007 15:46:42
Message: <pan.2007.05.10.19.46.41.150220@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Thu, 10 May 2007 14:23:53 -0400 schrieb flame-mike:

> Sorry, but can you give me a sample scene from this height-field
> http://www.geocities.com/gplflame/demo2.html .

Are you sure that you want to use heightfields? Yes, you can use this
image for a height field. But the result will not automatically be
something like in the first picture. The will be no holes (unless you use
water_level) and you will have to set up the lighting yourself. It's
unlikely that the first picture was actually created with a heightfield.
And it's also unlikely that anyone can recreate it from the second one
using POV-Ray and heightfields. By the way, there is a fractal object in
POV-Ray, take a look at the julia_fractal!

Post a reply to this message

From: flame-mike
Date: 10 May 2007 16:30:02
Message: <web.46438037b8b26c1a1d1bbab40@news.povray.org>
Yes I am sure. I only need to see results of glass what can be made with
povray from this height field.
1) I have only 512 mb of memory. If the result is good, so it will be seen
as real glass, then I will upgrade my pc. Can anybody render this as glass.
I get immediately max-trace_level reached.
2) I will render single glass object in a dark. And I don't know how to do
this.
This is why I ask sample scene.

The glass fractal, which I tried recreate, is made in photoshop with
"sextext" plugin. I tried using this plugin on Linux machine with pspi, but
it don't work. And this plugin is commercial.

So, please anybody make example scene. Simple glass object in a dark.

From: Lukas Winter
Date: 11 May 2007 11:09:41
Message: <pan.2007.05.11.15.09.39.253370@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Thu, 10 May 2007 16:27:35 -0400 schrieb flame-mike:

> Yes I am sure. I only need to see results of glass what can be made with
> povray from this height field.
So you want a glass object? If you do so you have to use an "intersection"
to make sure the rays leave the material, as a heightfield normally
only consists of one surface.
> 1) I have only 512 mb of memory. If the result is good, so it will be
> seen as real glass, then I will upgrade my pc. Can anybody render this
> as glass. I get immediately max-trace_level reached.
Use

global_settings
{
  max_trace_level 100 /*or another high number*/
  adc_bailout 1/127 /*decrease the denominator for faster but less exact
  results*/
}

512 MB should be enough for a render with only one object. But for all
scenes where reflection plays an important role it is necessary to have
some sourroudings to be mirrored. Sometimes it is helpful just to create
some cylinders and spheres and to give light sources a looks_like object
with a high ambient (so they glow in the dark ;)).
>2) I will render
> single glass object in a dark. And I don't know how to do this. This is
> why I ask sample scene.

Please show us what you already have done. We will help if there are any
concrete problems, of course. Don't you think that is a lot better than if
others do all the work for you?
Be sure to use a ior of 1.33 (or something similiar, depends on what kind
of glass you want to create) and fresnel reflection. For coloured glass
use attenuation, the pigment should be completely transparent. Photons can
help to make the material more believable.

Post a reply to this message

From: flame-mike
Date: 11 May 2007 15:10:01
Message: <web.4644be79b8b26c1a1d1bbab40@news.povray.org>
I nothing understand. I tried to change every value. But nothing helps. (;

global_settings
{
  max_trace_level 100 /*or another high number*/
  adc_bailout 1/127 /*decrease the denominator for faster but less exact
  results*/
}

#include "colors"
light_source {
   <45, 33, -50>, rgb <1, 1, 1>
}

height_field {
   png "/home/mike/povray/povray-test.png"
   water_level 0.0001
   scale 1
   no_shadow
   hollow false
   rotate x*(-90)
   translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>
   material {
    texture {
      pigment {
        color rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.99>
      }
      finish {
        ambient 0.3
        reflection {
          0.0, 0.2
          fresnel on
        }
      }
    }
    interior {
      ior 1.3
    }
  }
}
//here is another tweak of these fractal.

box {
   <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>, <0.5, 0.5, 0.5>
   scale 1

   pigment {
       image_map { png "povray-test-color.png"}
       translate <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>
   }
   rotate <0, 0, 0>
   translate z*0.5
}

camera {
   orthographic
   location <0, 0, -5>
   sky <0, 1, 0>
   direction <0, 0, -1>
   right <1.3333, 0, 0>
   up <0, 1, 0>
   look_at <0, 0, 1>
}

From: Lukas Winter
Date: 12 May 2007 05:19:16
Message: <pan.2007.05.12.09.19.14.882010@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Fri, 11 May 2007 15:05:29 -0400 schrieb flame-mike:

> I nothing understand. I tried to change every value. But nothing helps. (;

You could try the group povray.international and ask there in your mother
language.

> global_settings
> {
>   max_trace_level 100 /*or another high number*/ adc_bailout 1/127
>   /*decrease the denominator for faster but less exact results*/
> }
> }
> #include "colors"
> light_source {
>    <45, 33, -50>, rgb <1, 1, 1>
> }

You could add

looks_like
{
  sphere
  {
    <45, 33, -50>, 3
    pigment { color <1, 1, 1> }
    finish { ambient 1 //glow in the dark }
  }
}

> height_field {
>    png "/home/mike/povray/povray-test.png" water_level 0.0001
>    scale 1
>    no_shadow
>    hollow false
>    rotate x*(-90)
>    translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>
>    material {
>     texture {
>       pigment {
>         color rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.99>
>       }
>       finish {
>         ambient 0.3
>         reflection {
>           0.0, 0.2
>           fresnel on
>         }
>         }
>       }
>     interior {
>       ior 1.3
>     }
>     }
>   }

looks ok. I would use pigment { Clear } , no ambient and perhaps more
reflection. To get nice highlights from the light_source use specular.

>//here is another tweak of these fractal.
>
>box {
>   <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>, <0.5, 0.5, 0.5>
>   scale 1
>
>   pigment {
>       image_map { png "povray-test-color.png"} translate <-0.5, -0.5,
>       -0.5>
>   }
>   rotate <0, 0, 0>
>   translate z*0.5
>}
>}
>camera {
>   orthographic
>   location <0, 0, -5>
>   sky <0, 1, 0>
>   direction <0, 0, -1>
>   right <1.3333, 0, 0>
>   up <0, 1, 0>
>   look_at <0, 0, 1>
>}

Normally there is no need to adjust sky and direction, you might even get
strange results depending on the place where you put these statements.

I guess the problem is the missing sourroundings: Glass is clear, you only
"see" it because it refracts and reflects what is around it. If I model
clear objects I first give them a red pigment until I get the shape right,
then I change it to the actual material. Perhaps adding a ground plane
with a checker pigment will also help you. An advanced technique to get
nice reflections is a HDR light probe, but POV-Ray 3.6.1 does not support
it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 12 May 2007 05:57:41
Message: <46458f95$1@news.povray.org>
>I nothing understand. I tried to change every value. But nothing helps. (;

There's nothing distictly "wrong", but if you are looking for something
like Mnesia's picture there's a long way to go...

> global_settings
> {
>  max_trace_level 100 /*or another high number*/
>  adc_bailout 1/127 /*decrease the denominator for faster but less exact
>  results*/
> }

max_trace_level isn't the culprit here, this should work fine at the
default, but keep it in mind for later as you add other height_fields.

> #include "colors"
> light_source {
>   <45, 33, -50>, rgb <1, 1, 1>
> }

This is good, a light to see things... but what I don't see is
a background or a sky_sphere, glass objects will reflect
and refract the color from here, so the more intresting this
is the better the image will end up.

> height_field {
>   png "/home/mike/povray/povray-test.png"
>   water_level 0.0001

Water level... hmm, so now you have a surface
with an interesting edge, but no back surface, in some
cases like islands where you can't see the back that is
OK, but you will see it because glass is clear. What
you really want is something like a difference...
difference{height_field{...} box{<0,0.001,0>,<1,1,1>}
That way you will have a flat back surface...
If you want the back to be an inverted copy of the
front surface, then could #declare your height_field then
merge a flipped copy...
#declare myhf = difference{height_field{...}box{...inverse}
translate -0.0015*y};  //overlap them
merge{object{myhf}object{myhf scale -y}}

>   scale 1
>   no_shadow
>   hollow false
>   rotate x*(-90)
>   translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>

The order here is awkward... first center your
object at the origin, then rotate and scale...
that way if you change the scale you don't need
to change the numbers for the translate. Also
"hollow off" is the default. Typically it is clearer
to just use "hollow" or don't.

>   material {...
Nothing wrong with the texture really, but it
has a bit high transparency, and a bit low
reflection.

>//here is another tweak of these fractal.

An image of the color version
that's a good refererence I guess...

>camera {
>   orthographic

Are you sure you really want a flat orthographic camera?
that can make it hard to see the depth.

#include "glass.inc"
sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map {
       [0.0 White]
       [0.25 Orange]
       [0.5 White]
       [0.75 NavyBlue]
       [1.0 White]
    }
  }
}
#declare myglass =  material{
   texture {
      pigment {Col_Glass_Orange}
      finish{F_Glass5}
   }
   interior{I_Glass1}
};
#declare flhf = height_field {
   png "E:\graphics\render\fractal.png"
   smooth
};
#declare flhf2 = difference{
   object {flhf}
   box{<0,0.35,0>,<1,1,1> inverse}
   translate <-0.5,-0.35,-0.5>
};
#declare flhf3 = merge{
   object{flhf2}
   object{flhf2 scale -y translate 0.001*y}
};
object{flhf3
   material{myglass}
   rotate <-90,0,0>
}

Post a reply to this message

From: flame-mike
Date: 12 May 2007 08:05:01
Message: <web.4645acbfb8b26c1a1d1bbab40@news.povray.org>
Hey, All!
That is my result -> http://www.geocities.com/gplflame/demo3.html
Is it a bug in povray? Or in me.

global_settings
{
[...]

   png "povray-test.png"
   smooth
};
#declare flhf2 = difference{
   object {flhf}
   box{<0,0.35,0>,<1,1,1> inverse}
   translate <-0.5,-0.35,-0.5>
};
#declare flhf3 = merge{
   object{flhf2}
   object{flhf2 scale -y translate 0.001*y}
};
object{flhf3
   material{myglass}
   rotate <-90,0,0>
}

/*
box {
   <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>, <0.5, 0.5, 0.5>
   scale 1

   pigment {
       image_map { png "povray-test-color.png"}
       translate <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>
   }
   rotate <0, 0, 0>
   translate z*0.5