POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HeightField Glass : Re: HeightField Glass Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HeightField Glass
From: Lukas Winter
Date: 12 May 2007 05:19:16
Message: <pan.2007.05.12.09.19.14.882010@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Fri, 11 May 2007 15:05:29 -0400 schrieb flame-mike:

> I nothing understand. I tried to change every value. But nothing helps. (;

You could try the group povray.international and ask there in your mother
language.

> global_settings
> {
>   max_trace_level 100 /*or another high number*/ adc_bailout 1/127
>   /*decrease the denominator for faster but less exact results*/
> }
> }
> #include "colors"
> light_source {
>    <45, 33, -50>, rgb <1, 1, 1>
> }

You could add

looks_like
{
  sphere
  {
    <45, 33, -50>, 3
    pigment { color <1, 1, 1> }
    finish { ambient 1 //glow in the dark }
  }
}

> height_field {
>    png "/home/mike/povray/povray-test.png" water_level 0.0001
>    scale 1
>    no_shadow
>    hollow false
>    rotate x*(-90)
>    translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>
>    material {
>     texture {
>       pigment {
>         color rgbt <1, 0, 0, 0.99>
>       }
>       finish {
>         ambient 0.3
>         reflection {
>           0.0, 0.2
>           fresnel on
>         }
>         }
>       }
>     interior {
>       ior 1.3
>     }
>     }
>   }

looks ok. I would use pigment { Clear } , no ambient and perhaps more
reflection. To get nice highlights from the light_source use specular.

>//here is another tweak of these fractal.
>
>box {
>   <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>, <0.5, 0.5, 0.5>
>   scale 1
>
>   pigment {
>       image_map { png "povray-test-color.png"} translate <-0.5, -0.5,
>       -0.5>
>   }
>   rotate <0, 0, 0>
>   translate z*0.5
>}
>}
>camera {
>   orthographic
>   location <0, 0, -5>
>   sky <0, 1, 0>
>   direction <0, 0, -1>
>   right <1.3333, 0, 0>
>   up <0, 1, 0>
>   look_at <0, 0, 1>
>}

Normally there is no need to adjust sky and direction, you might even get
strange results depending on the place where you put these statements.

I guess the problem is the missing sourroundings: Glass is clear, you only
"see" it because it refracts and reflects what is around it. If I model
clear objects I first give them a red pigment until I get the shape right,
then I change it to the actual material. Perhaps adding a ground plane
with a checker pigment will also help you. An advanced technique to get
nice reflections is a HDR light probe, but POV-Ray 3.6.1 does not support
it.