POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HeightField Glass : Re: HeightField Glass Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HeightField Glass
From: Lukas Winter
Date: 11 May 2007 11:09:41
Message: <pan.2007.05.11.15.09.39.253370@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Thu, 10 May 2007 16:27:35 -0400 schrieb flame-mike:

> Yes I am sure. I only need to see results of glass what can be made with
> povray from this height field.
So you want a glass object? If you do so you have to use an "intersection"
to make sure the rays leave the material, as a heightfield normally
only consists of one surface.
> 1) I have only 512 mb of memory. If the result is good, so it will be
> seen as real glass, then I will upgrade my pc. Can anybody render this
> as glass. I get immediately max-trace_level reached.
Use

global_settings
{
  max_trace_level 100 /*or another high number*/
  adc_bailout 1/127 /*decrease the denominator for faster but less exact
  results*/
}

512 MB should be enough for a render with only one object. But for all
scenes where reflection plays an important role it is necessary to have
some sourroudings to be mirrored. Sometimes it is helpful just to create
some cylinders and spheres and to give light sources a looks_like object
with a high ambient (so they glow in the dark ;)).
>2) I will render
> single glass object in a dark. And I don't know how to do this. This is
> why I ask sample scene.

Please show us what you already have done. We will help if there are any
concrete problems, of course. Don't you think that is a lot better than if
others do all the work for you?
Be sure to use a ior of 1.33 (or something similiar, depends on what kind
of glass you want to create) and fresnel reflection. For coloured glass
use attenuation, the pigment should be completely transparent. Photons can
help to make the material more believable.