POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone?
Date: 13 Apr 2013 11:40:59
Message: <51697c8b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Currently I'm trying to convince a friend of POV-Ray's outstanding
landscape rendering capabilities by sending him examples from my private
p.b.i image collection. While browsing through these currently about
18,500 images stored on my harddisk since September 2000 when I first
hit p.b.i, I started to think whether it would be reasonable to have all
these images stored in a publicly accessible database on povray.org...
images would be categorized by artist, publication date, graphic format,
size, total number of pixels, x-y ratio, number of colours, color
distribution and, mostly important a wide range of (possibly
hierarchically organized) keywords describing image contents and used
POV-Ray features and techniques. The images also would be logically
connected to their scene scripts, as far as available.

What do you think about such an idea?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Little Neutrino (Klaatu)

Post a reply to this message

> Currently I'm trying to convince a friend of POV-Ray's outstanding
> landscape rendering capabilities by sending him examples from my private
> p.b.i image collection. While browsing through these currently about
> 18,500 images stored on my harddisk since September 2000 when I first
> hit p.b.i, I started to think whether it would be reasonable to have all
> these images stored in a publicly accessible database on povray.org...
> images would be categorized by artist, publication date, graphic format,
> size, total number of pixels, x-y ratio, number of colours, color
> distribution and, mostly important a wide range of (possibly
> hierarchically organized) keywords describing image contents and used
> POV-Ray features and techniques. The images also would be logically
> connected to their scene scripts, as far as available.
>
> What do you think about such an idea?

The idea is certainly interesting but it represents a lot of work to
index and build a relational database like that, if I remember correctly
my past implications with such a project. However, nowadays many things
can be automated though.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message