POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? : Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Apr 2013 15:31:50
Message: <516ef8a6$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 15:04:15 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

>> That's pretty much the way it works in the US, too - copyright is for
>> the author's life + 70 years IIRC, and the rights are given to the
>> copyright holder or the rights assignee (in some cases the
>> publication), and after that period lapses, the work passes into the
>> public domain.
>
> From the publicity over Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech,
> it seems that the heirs inherit the copyright (for that 70 years).

It depends on how the copyright is assigned.  I know from my own
experience that copyright assignment is sometimes made to the publisher
until the book is declared out of print, then it reverts to the author.

But Dr. King's speech was in 1963, so even 70 years from then would still
be 2033 if he'd died at the speech.

So it doesn't even become an issue until 2038.

Jim