POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? : Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray images and scene scripts database, anyone?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Apr 2013 07:23:41
Message: <516d34bd$1@news.povray.org>

> Most challenging would be to get permission from the 1300+ POVers who
> contributed to p.b.i since 1999 to copy their images into the
> database... this could be avoided if any POVer uploads his/her own
> images by himself, but then it probably would not be a database related
> exclusively to p.b.i anymore! But... why not?

That would be indeed challenging as a (large?) number of authors is not
active anymore and may have moved away, changed e-mails, etc. The second
solution is away from p.b.i. and so less desirable.

For new images, there would be a need for a-priori permissions which
might result in less postings to p.b.i. That would also be an
undesirable effect.

> Another difficult issue would be working out the keyword hierarchies...
> perhaps I should start with an experimental local database into which I
> enter my stored images file by file... the bigger it grows, the more
> elaborate the hierarchies become. At a certain stage of development I
> would present a mostly emptied (just the database structure contained
> the keyword hierarchies, but no other images and scripts than those of
> which I own the copyright, i. e. the images posted by me (some 350
> files)) version of the database for demonstration to the webmaster(s) of
> povray.org.

It would be a good start as a proof of concept.

Thomas