POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating a real world image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Creating a real world image (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Mike Larry
Subject: Creating a real world image
Date: 7 Nov 2011 06:30:01
Message: <web.4eb7c113698d79b3827ea9b0@news.povray.org>
Hello there,
       I'm new to pov-ray, and have been messing around with pov ray for a bit.
I would like to create a real world 3D room in povray. By this what I mean is, I
want to create a room, and attach real world images into some parts of the room
( like a table, or computer).
       Then problem is I have no idea how to go about this. Do I create a model
of a table in pov ray and try to find a picture which looks similar? Or, do I
find a picture and try to model it in pov ray? But what if, say I find a picture
of a sofa from one angle, and model it, attach the picture, but when I look at
it from another angle the sofa won't look the part (since I don't have a picture
to associate the sofa from that angle).
       If there are guides out there, please point me the right direction. Thank
you for your help in advance. Much appreciated.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

>        I'm new to pov-ray, and have been messing around with pov ray for a bit.
> I would like to create a real world 3D room in povray. By this what I mean is, I
> want to create a room, and attach real world images into some parts of the room
> ( like a table, or computer).
>        Then problem is I have no idea how to go about this. Do I create a model
> of a table in pov ray and try to find a picture which looks similar? Or, do I
> find a picture and try to model it in pov ray? But what if, say I find a picture
> of a sofa from one angle, and model it, attach the picture, but when I look at
> it from another angle the sofa won't look the part (since I don't have a picture
> to associate the sofa from that angle).
>        If there are guides out there, please point me the right direction. Thank
> you for your help in advance. Much appreciated.

You've got 2 issues there.  First, you don't have complete reference pictures,
so you have to use the imagination to fill in missing parts. Second: povray is
not fit for this kind or real-world modeling, such that it would probably be
easy to design toy csg furniture with it and then try to find pictures that look
like it then finding pictures of real-world paraphernalia and trying to model it
with boxes, cylinders and spheres or math functions.  For that what you really
need is a mesh or nurbs modeler with graphical interface.

Post a reply to this message

On 07/11/2011 11:29 AM, Mike Larry wrote:
> Hello there,
>         I'm new to pov-ray, and have been messing around with pov ray for a bit.
> I would like to create a real world 3D room in povray. By this what I mean is, I
> want to create a room, and attach real world images into some parts of the room
> ( like a table, or computer).
>         Then problem is I have no idea how to go about this. Do I create a model
> of a table in pov ray and try to find a picture which looks similar? Or, do I
> find a picture and try to model it in pov ray? But what if, say I find a picture
> of a sofa from one angle, and model it, attach the picture, but when I look at
> it from another angle the sofa won't look the part (since I don't have a picture
> to associate the sofa from that angle).
>         If there are guides out there, please point me the right direction. Thank
> you for your help in advance. Much appreciated.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,
	This question is more complicated than it seems at first reading. You
could build a 3D model using CSG then use image maps to texture the
separate parts of it. Or you could build a mesh model outside of PovRay
and UV map it. Then import it into PovRay as a Mesh2 object. To build it
with CSG you would need different techniques for different types of
models. Something angular could easily be built with boxes, cones,
cylinders etc. but a sofa might need superellipsoids to get the
roundness. You would need images of the different parts of the model and
a paint program to manipulate them.
It would be best to start out simple and build something like a modest
table and chair and not be too ambitious to start with. And ask for
advice in povray.newusers

--
Regards
     Stephen