POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating a real world image : Re: Creating a real world image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating a real world image
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Nov 2011 07:04:38
Message: <4eb7c956$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/11/2011 11:29 AM, Mike Larry wrote:
> Hello there,
>         I'm new to pov-ray, and have been messing around with pov ray for a bit.
> I would like to create a real world 3D room in povray. By this what I mean is, I
> want to create a room, and attach real world images into some parts of the room
> ( like a table, or computer).
>         Then problem is I have no idea how to go about this. Do I create a model
> of a table in pov ray and try to find a picture which looks similar? Or, do I
> find a picture and try to model it in pov ray? But what if, say I find a picture
> of a sofa from one angle, and model it, attach the picture, but when I look at
> it from another angle the sofa won't look the part (since I don't have a picture
> to associate the sofa from that angle).
>         If there are guides out there, please point me the right direction. Thank
> you for your help in advance. Much appreciated.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,
	This question is more complicated than it seems at first reading. You
could build a 3D model using CSG then use image maps to texture the
separate parts of it. Or you could build a mesh model outside of PovRay
and UV map it. Then import it into PovRay as a Mesh2 object. To build it
with CSG you would need different techniques for different types of
models. Something angular could easily be built with boxes, cones,
cylinders etc. but a sofa might need superellipsoids to get the
roundness. You would need images of the different parts of the model and
a paint program to manipulate them.
It would be best to start out simple and build something like a modest
table and chair and not be too ambitious to start with. And ask for
advice in povray.newusers

--
Regards
     Stephen