POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating a real world image : Re: Creating a real world image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating a real world image
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 7 Nov 2011 08:54:31
Message: <4eb7e317$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Larry wrote:

> I would like to create a real world 3D room in povray. By this what I mean is, I
> want to create a room, and attach real world images into some parts of the room
> ( like a table, or computer).

This may not be what you really need. As you yourself noticed this
technique will not allow you to move freely around the room (it can
be used to take an existing photo an insert an artifical object, but
that is also rather advanced).

In order to get a real 3d scene you will need to model the geometry
in all detail at least for foreground objects, and texture them based
on the material they are made of and let lighting handle the rest.

might get away with billboards, i.e. placing a photo of an object in the
scene as a simple textured box where the background is made transparent

some fake shadows, a trick someone posted here once for trees).