POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blender Vs PovRay Server Time
29 Apr 2024 12:53:10 EDT (-0400)
  Blender Vs PovRay (Message 1 to 10 of 44)
From: kike
Subject: Blender Vs PovRay
Date: 21 Oct 2008 06:30:01
Message: <web.48fdae14f034d1aa519bbb570@news.povray.org>
Hi all!!

Just a comment about my trip from Pov to Blender. I'm still trying to learn
Blenders dark path and I have discovered something astonishing. I haven't found
a texture generator as Pov texture generator. When you jump to programs like
Blender (or 3dS) you are supposed to PAINT almost all the textures you use if
you want them to look right through UV maps.

It is incredible that they didnt put any effort in the developement of a good
texture generator. It is not obvious, for instance, to do a texture map. To put
a standard texture inside another pattern. So, as I have said, you have to use
UV maps or images to texture your Blender models.

It is true that this feature (UV mapping) is easy to use and very well inserted.
But I miss Pov procedurals. I miss them so much that I still use Pov to paint my
textures!!! and then I introduce them into blender as images.

So finally (thanks God) I'm not going to loose my connection with Pov.

Thanks!!!

---------------------
www.enriquesahagun.es

Post a reply to this message

> Just a comment about my trip from Pov to Blender. I'm still trying to learn
> Blenders dark path and I have discovered something astonishing. I haven't found
> a texture generator as Pov texture generator. When you jump to programs like
> Blender (or 3dS) you are supposed to PAINT almost all the textures you use if
> you want them to look right through UV maps.
>
> It is incredible that they didnt put any effort in the developement of a good
> texture generator. It is not obvious, for instance, to do a texture map. To put
> a standard texture inside another pattern. So, as I have said, you have to use
> UV maps or images to texture your Blender models.
>
> It is true that this feature (UV mapping) is easy to use and very well inserted.
> But I miss Pov procedurals. I miss them so much that I still use Pov to paint my
> textures!!! and then I introduce them into blender as images.
>
> So finally (thanks God) I'm not going to loose my connection with Pov.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> ---------------------
> www.enriquesahagun.es

This is not quite right.  Perhaps you are just still very green and missing
functionality in the UI.  Procedurals in Blender are about as powerful than in
Povray, except you enter color/texture lists with very practical dragging
controls.

F5 to access the materials panels for an object.  You'll see a Texture/Map
Input/Map To grouping near the end of the panel.  With Texture you can stack
texture maps with several layers.  With Map Input, you can scale and do various
transforms for any of the selected layers.  With Map To, you can adjust
individual features of each layer, like pigment (color), normal, specular,
alpha, warps and the kind of mixing that goes into it with the subsequent
layers (subtract, add, multiply, light etc).

F6 access the "texture" panels.  In it, you may define each layer per se:  the
pattern type, turbulence type, noise type and color list.

The F5 panels still feature a very handy Shaders/Mirror Trans/SSS grouping that
allow you to further define the appearence, including choices of shading models
(lambert, fresnel etc) and subsurface scattering effects.

Blender is a very complete and complex package, that's for sure.

Post a reply to this message

> Just a comment about my trip from Pov to Blender. I'm still trying to learn
> Blenders dark path and I have discovered something astonishing. I haven't found
> a texture generator as Pov texture generator. When you jump to programs like
> Blender (or 3dS) you are supposed to PAINT almost all the textures you use if
> you want them to look right through UV maps.
>
> It is incredible that they didnt put any effort in the developement of a good
> texture generator. It is not obvious, for instance, to do a texture map. To put
> a standard texture inside another pattern. So, as I have said, you have to use
> UV maps or images to texture your Blender models.
>
> It is true that this feature (UV mapping) is easy to use and very well inserted.
> But I miss Pov procedurals. I miss them so much that I still use Pov to paint my
> textures!!! and then I introduce them into blender as images.
>
> So finally (thanks God) I'm not going to loose my connection with Pov.
>
> Thanks!!!

> www.enriquesahagun.es

You might want check out Wings3D: www.wings3d.com  It comes with a
fairly good POVRAY exporter built in...