POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blender Vs PovRay : Re: Blender Vs PovRay Server Time
16 May 2024 12:07:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender Vs PovRay
From: kike
Date: 22 Oct 2008 05:25:01
Message: <web.48fef052320575a4be7bfb550@news.povray.org>
Ok, Ok, OK, wait a minute:

I'm not saying Blender is not good. Actually I'm learning to use blender because
I wanted to do things I can not do with Pov. In particular those things
connected with mesh and animations, in which Blender is quite powerful. In fact
I'm very grateful to Blender, I'm still astonished with the million things you
can do with it.

And in particular, textures are very powerful in Blender. But in my opinion, not
as powerful as in PovRay. It is true that you can do very interesting things in
the textures section. BUT THERE IS AN OBVIOUS THING you can do in Pov which is
not obvious in Blender. To set textures inside textures. For instance to set a
crackle texture inside a bozo texture in such a way that there is crackle only
in the bozo spots.

When you want to design complex textures in Pov, you have lots of possibilities.
I can make a list of the things I miss:

- Bricks, hexagons
- texture maps (texture INSIDE textures, not textures OVER textures)
- the way you control the noise in your textures (turbulence, wrap, lambda,
omega, etc

When you want complex textures in Blender, it is better to paint it (or to get a
photograph, OR TO USE POV!!! JAJAJA) Obviously, I would be able to make a
similar list about the things that are better in Blender, but that is another
story.

www.enriquesahagun.es