POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blender Vs PovRay : Re: Blender Vs PovRay Server Time
16 May 2024 15:53:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender Vs PovRay
From: alphaQuad
Date: 21 Oct 2008 17:20:00
Message: <web.48fe46ed320575a45e6ec0f00@news.povray.org>
Jeff Houck <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> kike wrote:
> > Hi all!!
> >
> > Just a comment about my trip from Pov to Blender. I'm still trying to learn
> > Blenders dark path and I have discovered something astonishing. I haven't found
> > a texture generator as Pov texture generator. When you jump to programs like
> > Blender (or 3dS) you are supposed to PAINT almost all the textures you use if
> > you want them to look right through UV maps.
> >
> > It is incredible that they didnt put any effort in the developement of a good
> > texture generator. It is not obvious, for instance, to do a texture map. To put
> > a standard texture inside another pattern. So, as I have said, you have to use
> > UV maps or images to texture your Blender models.
> >
> > It is true that this feature (UV mapping) is easy to use and very well inserted.
> > But I miss Pov procedurals. I miss them so much that I still use Pov to paint my
> > textures!!! and then I introduce them into blender as images.
> >
> > So finally (thanks God) I'm not going to loose my connection with Pov.
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> >
> > ---------------------
> > www.enriquesahagun.es
> >

> You might want check out Wings3D: www.wings3d.com  It comes with a
> fairly good POVRAY exporter built in...

Modeling Program: you know how you use it, only if you wrote it; at least for
some time. And so much time to develop, even if you wrote it, takes some effort
to remember what you did.

Blender is the best importer I've seen, almost everything but pov mesh. Then
export to obj and open with PoseRay, what a Gem PoseRay is!

As for modeling with POV, I know I have more possibilities to explore yet feel
modeling programs to be unnecessary at this point, CSG. For modeling human form
we all should have been able to afford hover cars by now, let alone 3D scanners,
but noooooo$, greed has to make it this way.