POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blender Vs PovRay : Re: Blender Vs PovRay Server Time
16 May 2024 03:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender Vs PovRay
From: stbenge
Date: 21 Oct 2008 14:46:50
Message: <48fe239a@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> "kike" <dry### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>
>> Just a comment about my trip from Pov to Blender. I'm still trying to learn
>> Blenders dark path and I have discovered something astonishing. I haven't found
>> a texture generator as Pov texture generator.
>
> This is not quite right.  Perhaps you are just still very green and missing
> functionality in the UI.  Procedurals in Blender are about as powerful than in
> Povray, except you enter color/texture lists with very practical dragging
> controls.

"Out of the box," Blender's procedural texturing system is nowhere near
as powerful as POV-Ray's. I suppose if one were to write his own
shaders, and use scripting along with it, Blender's texturing system may
start to approach the level of POV's in terms of flexibility.

Sure, in Blender you have access to certain textural elements, and the
node-based system is nice, but I can imagine that certain things I can
easily do in POV would prove to be very hard if not impossible to do in
Blender.

At any rate, I find that each program is useful for different things. In
POV you can script up anything you desire with little fuss (great for
science), render thousands of instances of a complex object, have
radiosity in your scene, etc. In Blender you can render hair, SSS, make
games (the new GLSL stuff is really cool), etc. It's nice to have more
than one tool at your disposal before embarking on a project. Now, if I
could just find inspiration....

Sam