POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quicker render alternatives to povray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  quicker render alternatives to povray (Message 1 to 10 of 50)
From: Rahul
Subject: quicker render alternatives to povray
Date: 16 Mar 2008 15:20:00
Message: <web.47dd807ac23a6d959eba08c0@news.povray.org>
I use povray to render molecules from co-ordinate files. Unfortunately the
specifics of my problem demand that I write my own parser (rather than use VMD
, rasmol etc.) that parses from my coordinates to a .pov.

My scene is basically nothing more than a large number of spheres(of different
sizes and colors) Povray works great for me for rendering an excellent high
quality final output.

Unfortunately there are parts in my development cycle where I need a faster
render. Low quality acceptable. Are there any options people would recommend?

I dont even need the full ammunition of a raytracer. But something that could
act on  a similar-to-povray file would be ideal. (or something that a povray
...pov file could easily be parsed into)

The idea is to allow users to adjust molecular positions in an editor (vi or
emacs) and have a second window display these changes dynamically. So I need
something fast. I know I can probably code it in OpenGL or something but I was
just checking if there are other easier alternatives?

Any suggestions are, of course, greatly appreciated!

-Rahul

Post a reply to this message

> I use povray to render molecules from co-ordinate files. Unfortunately the
> specifics of my problem demand that I write my own parser (rather than use VMD
> , rasmol etc.) that parses from my coordinates to a .pov.
>
> My scene is basically nothing more than a large number of spheres(of different
> sizes and colors) Povray works great for me for rendering an excellent high
> quality final output.
>
> Unfortunately there are parts in my development cycle where I need a faster
> render. Low quality acceptable. Are there any options people would recommend?
>
> I dont even need the full ammunition of a raytracer. But something that could
> act on  a similar-to-povray file would be ideal. (or something that a povray
> ...pov file could easily be parsed into)
>
> The idea is to allow users to adjust molecular positions in an editor (vi or
> emacs) and have a second window display these changes dynamically. So I need
> something fast. I know I can probably code it in OpenGL or something but I was
> just checking if there are other easier alternatives?

If you do it in OpenGL, and you want speed, you need to bother with
drawing only visible spheres, etc. yourself.

Did you try +q2 on POV-Ray?

Post a reply to this message