POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quicker render alternatives to povray : Re: quicker render alternatives to povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: quicker render alternatives to povray
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Mar 2008 18:55:00
Message: <web.47ddb31e72535d727a680aea0@news.povray.org>
"Rahul" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > turn off the antialiasing. You don't need it and it can slow things down
> > quite a lot in some cases.
> >

> I tried turning it off. Acceptable quality degradation. But not too much
> improvement in render times.
>
> Downgrading till +Q2 causes no discernible quality loss. But no performance gain
> either.

hmm, if no AA nor +Q2 change much I imagine there must be a humongous amount of
spheres around...

Probably won't do much either, but you could try halving the resolution as well.
 And grouping the spheres in unions, as a last resource...

> Are there any other non-raytraced analogs of povray? Something that has a
> primitive scene-definition language but no cpu-hogging raytraced details?

I don't think there's anything much faster or memory-efficient for this kind of
problem (huge amounts of spheres) than a raytracer.