POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quicker render alternatives to povray : quicker render alternatives to povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  quicker render alternatives to povray
From: Rahul
Date: 16 Mar 2008 15:20:00
Message: <web.47dd807ac23a6d959eba08c0@news.povray.org>
I use povray to render molecules from co-ordinate files. Unfortunately the
specifics of my problem demand that I write my own parser (rather than use VMD
, rasmol etc.) that parses from my coordinates to a .pov.

My scene is basically nothing more than a large number of spheres(of different
sizes and colors) Povray works great for me for rendering an excellent high
quality final output.

Unfortunately there are parts in my development cycle where I need a faster
render. Low quality acceptable. Are there any options people would recommend?

I dont even need the full ammunition of a raytracer. But something that could
act on  a similar-to-povray file would be ideal. (or something that a povray
...pov file could easily be parsed into)

The idea is to allow users to adjust molecular positions in an editor (vi or
emacs) and have a second window display these changes dynamically. So I need
something fast. I know I can probably code it in OpenGL or something but I was
just checking if there are other easier alternatives?

Any suggestions are, of course, greatly appreciated!

-Rahul